Basic Guidelines To A 10 Approval Process For Granny Flats
Please note that ALL of the requirements below must be complied with in order to achieve FAST 10-Day Approval through a Private Certifier.
1. SITE REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum 450m2 lot size and maximum 60sq/m living area
Minimum 12m wide as measured at the building line (this means the width of the block where the granny flat will be built).
2. Maximum Floor Space (After Construction):
- 330 if the lot has an area of at least 450 square metres but less than 600 square metres,
- 380 m2, if the lot has an area of at least 600 square metres but less than 900 square metres,
- 430 square metres, if the lot has an area of at least 900 square metres.
3. Rear Setback:
Minimum 3m from rear boundary if lot is less than 900 m2, otherwise 5m
4. Side Setback:
Minimum 0.9m from the nearest side boundary if lot is less than 900m2, otherwise 1.5.
5. Front setback:
Average distance of setbacks of the 2 nearest dwellings.
Minimum 1.8m between the Main Dwelling & the Granny Flat
7. Maximum Height:
3.8m as measured from the lowest natural ground level to the ridge level.
20-25% minimum turf or gardens, depending on property size, calculated AFTER Approval. 50% of the minimum landscaped area must be behind the main dwelling.
9. Maximum Excavation:
Cut and Fill up to a maximum of 1m.
10. Roof-Water Drainage Requirement:
All storm-water from the new granny flat must be conveyed to either:
(a) a public drainage system (the existing gravity-fed system to the street kerb), or
(b) an inter-allotment drainage system (a Registered Drainage Easement), or
(c) an on-site disposal system ( we must construct a ‘Rubble Pit’ in the rear yard).